Sunday, February 14, 2010

Equals to

Every Sunday one short guy comes to press (iron) my shirts. He gets paid a small sum for the effort he does. He does a great job. Besides it’s a pure waste of time and money to iron 7-8 shirts a week.
The fellow asks for small gifts or bonuses during the festival season. We give it grudgingly.
My room is cleaned once in a week by an old lady. She also gets paid a small sum.
There is nothing worse than a weekend without these two people. I will have to iron my clothes and clean my rooms all by myself. It’s not a pretty heavy task. But I can’t afford to waste away my precious weekends cleaning rooms.
I naturally get pissed off if my plans for the weekend are washed away because of these people. I am too unwilling to bother about their excuses. Why is it so? They aren’t my servants. They work for me in the same way I work for my boss. Why can’t I treat them as equals?


Haven’t they got the right for choice in the same way as I do?

4 comments:

Rajlakshmi said...

what strike me was - you are lazy :) just kidding...
they have got a right... if only we are willing to give them...

Jon said...

'If WE are wiling to give them'...

I can't quite agree with you

Unknown said...

You are right..All professionals are equals..We all do one or the other kind of work to get paid..

sarah toa said...

Just pay them more - what they are actually worth (your time) - and then they will be worth more in your eyes.